Tuesday, 10 November 2015

finding my inner guru

Finding Grace, peace, balance and a sense of joy every day? Not always easy in a world that is so fast paced, we are all white knuckled just trying to hold on. But it is doable....with a little practice.

The trick is finding the practice that suits you. Not one that suits a friend, a colleague or a family member, you.


It took many years, the search for my very own Guru. That's what I thought I needed - to find spiritual growth, peace and balance in my life. The One I would revere and bow to in grace and gratitude.

I thought I had to go with the flow of the binaural beat and burn incense while sitting in stillness, meditating for hours on end - to be a successful spiritual being (and I don't doubt how helpful that is for many). So on the recommendations of trusted friends and like minded journeymen; over the years I haphazardly tried this practice and then that, absorbing as much of the mystique and essence of each, that I could, learning as I went along...Yet, nothing felt right. Nothing felt like me.

And then I found Reiki. I practiced this beautiful, gentle energy therapy for a decade - to the letter, following all the rules with quite a lot of success, and yet something still felt like it was missing. I felt restricted and I knew that to feel real peace and balance, to feel truly empowered and gain the lightness of being that I was looking for, there had to be more.

Although I was gaining ground and quietly finding my way, helped along by ancient wisdom, it really wasn't until the most difficult period of my life occurred, that I was shown the answers with complete clarity. I had been with the right Guru all along, I just didn't know it.

And that Guru was Me.

Everything I had been searching for, I already held within. Each small stepping stone I had taken along the way to inner peace, balance and empowerment, had lead me to me. I had become my greatest teacher and most observant student. By listening, deeply, with focused intent and following my true inner whispers, I found what I had been searching for. Allowing me to go on to continue my practice with a greater sense of freedom and understanding. Making me a better practitioner.

My practice still follows the principles of Reiki Practice and I continue to use the traditional tools and techniques, mastered over time, but now with flexibility. My practice has developed and grown into much more than I dared to imagine. I have learned to tap into my inner wisdom, by sitting at the feet of my true-self and listening. Inner peace is not something I have achieved ... it is something I aspire to; through a daily practice, at which some days I fail miserably...but I keep on trying. I practice .

We are all our most divine teachers and hallowed students, and we are all each others. The practice that brings you a complete, joyous peace - without harming another being,  is the one for you. It may come with a Divine Spiritual Guru, or that Guru might be you.

I promise, if you are still searching...you will know it when it comes along. Until then, the world is full of peaceful, purposeful practices...some are religious and many more are non-denominational. Don't be afraid to try a few on to see how they feel, it's the only way you will find the right fit for you!

Most importantly ... have fun in searching :)

Tip: If you are a beginner; a simple daily practice is a great place to start. Something that fits effortlessly into your day. A brisk walk or a cup of tea or coffee, a 5 or 10 minute mindful meditation - (for ease & consistency, try for same time each day,) where you can take some time to simply be in the moment.


Challenge: When you decide on your daily practice, make a commitment to practice every day for 30 days. At the end of 30 days let me know how you went, what changes you may have experienced, and it it is something you may continue to do.




No comments:

Post a Comment